Friday, February 11, 2011

BURNED ALIVE: A SURVIVOR OF AN "'HONOR KILLING" SPEAKS OUT (SOUAD)

This was a harrowing book to read!! To think that in this day and age people can act so barbaric and commit unspeakable crimes against loved ones is truly horrendous. I am so stunned at Souad's story that I don't feel I could do her justice by writing my own review. What this woman has been through is atrocious, frightful, appalling, and extremely sad. I wouldn't want, in any way, to shame Souad or make her feel I said something in my review to hurt her feelings so I will leave you with the synopsis taken from the back cover of the book.

"When Souad was seventeen she fell in love. In her West Bank village, as in so many others, sex before marriage is considered a grave dishonor to one's family and is punishable by death. This was her crime. Her brother-in-law was given the task of meting out her punishment. One morning while Souad was washing the family's clothes, he poured gasoline over her and set her on fire.

Miracuously, she survived, rescued by the women of her village, who put out the flames and took her to a local hospital. Horribly burned to over seventy per cent of her body and still denounced by her family, Souad was able to receive the care she needed only after the intervention of a European aid worker. Now in permanent exile from her homeland, she has decided to tell her story and reveal the barbarity of a practice that continues to this day.

BURNED ALIVE is the first true account ever published by a victim of an "honor crime". Souad's inspiring testimony is a shocking, moving, and harrowing story of cruelty and incomparable courage...and an inspiring call to action to end a heinous tradition."

I personally, give Souad a standing ovation for having the strength and courage to tell her story. To stand up and be counted both as a woman and as a human being and to be immensely proud of who she is and what she has accomplished...my heart and my prayers will be with you always, Souad!!!

February 9, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment